HANDWRITING AND TYPE DESIGN
1st MODULE 8-9 November 2018
2nd MODULE 10-11 November 2018
10.30 am – 5.30 pm
The Fondazione Musei Civici di Venezia offers this year, once again, the Calligraphy workshop in Italian and English language. The course is articulated in two modules, that can be attended jointly or separately.
The first module will be lead by the artist Monica Dengo, and the second by Ewan Clayton, design professor at the University of Sutherland and author of the book “The Golden Thread”, on the history of writing.
The workshops will be held at the Correr Museum Library to offer the possibility of viewing and studying the historical manuscripts collection and where we’ll be able to experiment with the potential of writing by hand as an artistic expression.
8-9 November, 10.30 am – 5.30 pm
Monica Dengo, Leave your mark
A workshop to discover handwriting’s creative potential, with exercises based on Lascia il Segno, Monica Dengo’s recently published manual: which are the relations between gesture, rhythm and body and how to explore the expressiveness of the handwritten marks? We’ll begin with italic, the first modern cursive, and then we will slowly break all the rules and invent new ones. The white sheet of paper will be our new unexplored territory.
10-11 November, 10.30 am – 5.30 pm
Ewan Clayton, Drawing letter forms
The skill of drawing letterforms with pencil and pen is a foundational skill for any lettering artist or type designer. We explore at least four different ways of drawing letters by hand, these skills can be applied to drawing precise shapes for digitisation or more freely in bringing a new dynamic to letterforms applied to many different materials. Love of drawing letters was one of the skills that drove the transformation of calligraphy into type and in this course we have the historic collections of the Correr Library to draw on for inspiration.
All lessons will be held at the Museum Correr Library in English and in Italian.
It is possible to partecipate at the first module, to the second module, or both.
Each module will be activated with a minimum of 12 participants and can accomodate a maximum of 20.
- You can book one single module of the workshop or both modules at this link (select Adults > Workshop on-demand > Calligraphy workshop “Handwriting and type design”)
- The enrolment is confirmed once the activity has been paid within three working days from the activation of the course
- “Last minute” reservations can only be sent by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. These requests will be accepted compatibly with the availability .
- When reaching the minimum number required to activate the single module, we’ll send you a confirmation email that will notify all the participants indicating the need to proceed to the payment of the fee
- By making the payment, the registration will be considered confirmed
- No refund will be due as a result of cancellation.
The cost for each module is 200 euros per participant.
The fee includes:
- the Museum Pass to visit the museums of the Fondazione during the course (Doge’s Palace, Correr Museum, Ca’Rezzonico, Carlo Goldoni’s House, Palazzo Mocenigo, Ca’Pesaro – International Gallery of Modern Art, Glass Museum – Murano, LaceMuseum – Burano, Natural History Museum)
- discount at the Museum Correr’s cafè.
T +39 041 2405240