NOMADS OF THE WHITE SPACE
Taking the view point of handwriting
11-12-13 October 2019
10.30 am – 5.30 pm
The Fondazione Musei Civici di Venezia offers this year, once again, the Calligraphy workshop in English language. The course will be lead by the artist Monica Dengo with Ewan Clayton, design professor at the University of Sunderland and author of the book “The Golden Thread”, on the history of writing. The workshop will be held at the Correr Museum to offer the possibility of viewing and studying the historical manuscripts collection of the Museum’s Library.
In this course we’ll focus on Western writing as a body experience that has links to arts like figure drawing and dance, or disciplines like the martial arts.
Taking the view point of handwriting, whose learning moves from the copying of a model to the development of a personal, direct, un-contrived gesture, we’ll begin with the mono-linear core structures of Roman capitals and then gradually move to compositions involving a pure play of line and space. In other words, we’ll move from the rigid letters of the Roman empire, to a free act of writing that takes a stand of its own, independent from the act of reading.
This approach will give us the opportunity to analyze how legibility has a strong relation with a structured, regular, hierarchic use of space and how, by removing these structures, we can open up to artistic possibilities, all the way to illegibility and asemic writing.
All lessons will be held at the Museum Correr Library in English.
The course will be activated with a minimum of 15 participants and can accomodate a maximum of 18.
- You can book the workshop at this link (Workshop on-demand > Calligraphy workshop “Nomads of the white space”)
- The enrolment is confirmed once the activity has been paid within three working days from the activation of the course
- “Last minute” reservations can only be sent by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. These requests will be accepted compatibly with the availability
- When reaching the minimum number required to activate the workshop, we’ll send you a confirmation email that will notify all the participants indicating the need to proceed to the payment of the fee
- By making the payment, the registration will be considered confirmed
- No refund will be due as a result of cancellation
The cost for is 350 euros per participant.
The fee includes:
- the Museum Pass to visit the museums of the Fondazione during the course (Doge’s Palace, Correr Museum, Ca’Rezzonico, Carlo Goldoni’s House, Palazzo Mocenigo, Ca’Pesaro – International Gallery of Modern Art, Glass Museum – Murano, LaceMuseum – Burano, Natural History Museum)
- discount at the Museum Correr’s cafè.
T +39 041 2405240