Church of San Francesco della Vigna. The first work Veronese painted in Venice is the altarpiece in the Giustiniani Chapel (fifth altar on the right); dating from 1551, it shows The Holy Family with St. John the Baptist, St. Anthony Abbot and St. Catherine.
The Basilica of Santi Giovanni e Paolo. The Rosary Chapel. Destroyed by a fire on the night of 15-16 August 1867, the chapel was reconstructed from 1913 onwards and then decorated with paintings from other places of worship. Most of these works are by Veronese: the three ceiling ovals in the nave – showing the Annunciation, The Adoration of the Shepherds and The Assumption of the Virgin – were painted for the Chiesa dell’Umilità on the Zattere in the late 1550s; the painting on the wall opposite the apse, again showing an Adoration of the Shepherds – dates from the around the same time and was originally painted for the altar of the Scuola dei Tessitori [Weavers’ Confraternity] in the church of the Cruciferi. The five canvasses decorating the ceiling of the altar show The Adoration of the Magiand The Four Evangelists; painted in 1581-82, they come from the new-demolished church of San Nicolò della Lattuga near the Frari.
Church of San Lorenzo dei Mendicanti. Over the first altar on the right is the painting The Crucified Christ between the Madonna and St. John; dating from around 1581, it was moved here from the church of the Incurabili on the Zattere.
Church of San Giuseppe di Castello. The altarpiece in the Grimani family chapel shows The Adoration of the Shepherds and was painted 1582-1583.